Flying This Holiday Season - The Airport Just Got Safer

Milpitas Patch November 14, 2017

Mineta San José International Airport has new gear to respond to an emergency.

SAN JOSE, CA — Firefighting efforts at Mineta San José International Airport just took a giant leap forward. Two new firefighting trucks were added its fleet Monday, retiring equipment that's nearly 20 years old.

The vehicles were introduced to the airport during a ceremony Monday by San José City Councilman Raul Peralez, San José Fire Department Chief Curtis Jacobsen and the airport's Director of Aviation John Aitken.

Peralez credited U.S. Congresswoman Zoe Loffgren (D-San José) with helping acquire two federal grants to help pay for the Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting vehicles, which covered 80 percent of the $1.6 million overall cost. Airport operating funds paid for the remaining 20 percent.

"I greatly appreciate Congresswoman Lofgren and her team for their ongoing support of and advocacy for Mineta San José International Airport throughout her decades in office," Peralez said in a statement. "Securing these significant grants allows Silicon Valley's airport to offer the highest levels of traveler safety while meeting federal regulations at our growing airport."

Airport officials said the new trucks replace two vehicles that are approaching 20 years in service. In addition, the airport's increase in passenger service and introduction of larger aircraft landing at the airport in recent years has required it to increase its on-staff airport firefighting crews and response vehicles per FAA regulations, airport officials said.