A San José native, Raul has dedicated his life to service and advocacy. After graduating from San José State University and becoming the first in his family to earn a college degree, Raul became an educator, working as a substitute teacher and mentor with various at-risk youth programs. In 2007, he joined the San José Police Department, and served as an officer until he was elected to the City Council in 2014.
While an officer, Raul continued to be committed to supporting local youth. He volunteered as a big brother with Big Brothers-Big Sisters of the Bay Area for six years, and regularly at Silicon Valley FACES Camp Everytown. Raul also became the only active duty police officer to substitute teach at Osborne School at Juvenile Hall.
Raul was motivated to run for office because he saw an opportunity to further support his community. As an active resident, Raul was Vice President of the Rosemary Gardens Neighborhood Association, he served on the Santa Clara County Human Relations Commission, and as an appointed delegate to the California State Democratic Party.
In his role as Councilmember, Raul has been a leader on several key issues facing the City. He has tackled public safety needs, the housing crisis, and transportation improvements, as well as helped spur sustainable and equitable economic development, all while maintaining quality city services for residents. Raul also represents the City on several regional and state boards and committees as a voice for the Capital of Silicon Valley.
In early 2017, Raul married Victoria Ramirez. They live in the Rosemary Gardens neighborhood of greater downtown San José with their two dogs, Zoey and Birkin.
Roles, Recognitions & AwARDS
- City of San José Councilmember, District 3, 2014 - present
- Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Community Hero Award, 2017
- Silicon Valley FACES Outstanding Philanthropist Award, 2017
- City of San José Green Trips Commuter Award, 2017
- QueenHype Community Champion for Women Empowerment, 2017
- Great American Pickup - Most Volunteers Award, 2016 and 2017
- Cupertino High School Hall of Fame, Inducted 2016
- City of San José Police Officer, 2007 - 2014
- Vice President, Rosemary Gardens Neighborhood Association*
- Human Relations Commissioner, Santa Clara County*
- CA State Democratic Party Delegate, Office of Congresswomen Zoe Lofgren
- Founding Charter Member, San José Silicon Valley Global Lions Club
- 2013 Asset Champion Adult Role Model, YMCA Project Cornerstone
- 2013 Emerging Leader, Silicon Valley Latino
- Alternative Education Substitute Teacher, Santa Clara County*
- Emergency Medical Technician, Santa Clara County*
- Public Relations Manager, Stand Up For Kids Silicon Valley*
- Big Brother, Big Brothers-Big Sisters of the Bay Area*
- B.A. Mathematics, San José State University, 2004
- Cupertino High School, Class of 2000